Piazza and The Flyers Convert a New Blues Generation (fwd)

Subject: Piazza and The Flyers Convert a New Blues Generation
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2004 13:18:37 +0000
Friday night, June 25 on the Coors Stage at the Del Mar Fair, the tall lanky,
hip talkin' guy in the yellow suit, shades, big heart and big harp started the
crowd with 50 people in a spread out audience. By the end of the second number
Big Blues Party from his latest Keepin' It Real Album the place was packed. Teen
aged kids from the MXPX alternate rock concert were pouring in and clapping
through the intense musical blend of jump, boogie, west side Chicago, and the
visual and auditory feast of Miss Honey with her magic hands and feet on the
keys. They could not resist the invitation when Rod crooned in his swingin' So
Cal style to join this blues party hard bumpin' groove.

Henry Carvajol taught the new generation what the word chops is all about. He
toyed with the audience in quiet guitar staccato during a segment of his solo
matched with a powerful tenor on Ain't Nothin' Happening also on the Keepin' It
Real CD. Bill Stuve's flowing bass and Paul Vincent Fasulo drums kept the rhythm
flowing with taste and groove.

Paulie admits to working hard to reinvent his style to capture the flavor of
what Rod knows to be the authentic sound. Paul advised younger drummers "I
practice 3 hours in the morning. Then I do my errands. Then whatever energy is
left I practice at night. My attitude is I'm from Brooklyn and I can take on the
Heavyweight Champ."

Harmonica buffs will want to know that Rod played 1st, 2nd, 3rd and shortstop.
Oops, I mean chromatic. He was flawless on high clean trumpet- like blow bends,
complex high end licks and do I need to say anything about this man knowing how
to get down and dirty. Remember he fixes Chevy's.Vibrato, yes it was happening
even on the short eighth and quarters. Hand vibrato, yes even on the bullet. Yes
he played high end acoustic. Improvise, yes he brought in riffs from the big
band era and played them with soul.

The band was inspiring to youth and other pros. They stayed after the show to
make answer all questions from history, rigs, lessons and accepting the praise
of newly created fans. One aspiring local pro-guitarist left with a sense of
mission that he had found music. "They really still care about the music and
passing it on not just the business. Henry must have thousand in his vintage
rig."

Rod as always was concerned if it was a really good show. What a warrior putting
on a great show even though he was struggling with a cold. His love of the
music, respect for the audience makes him a true professional that forces teens
to leave the mash pits to witness a true blues band icon on the stage. Brother
Rod and Sister Honey converted a new generation.

- --
Dennis "Doc" Alters

Harp and Vocals
The Alternators