Re: how to turn off HTML

This spring I did some trial posting and it looked like we finally had a way
to turn off HTML on AOL at least, but I think said method didn't get posted
because things were tantalizingly close to figuring out how to automatically
purge HTML at the list itself instead.  Obviously that did not work out and I let
the matter slide.  Here's what I'm doing on this individual message to try to
purge HTML:

First, make sure there is no HTML in your signature, if you use a prewritten
one.  Compose and address your email, then go to Edit: Select All and
highlight the entire message.  Right-click on the selected text and from the menu that
springs up, select Text: Normal.  Selecting Normal clears that menu; then
click again to clear the select on the entire text.  (Don't you have to do that
to lock in the change you've made?)  Send the message without making further
changes.

I can't seem to get the Text menu to come up on the subject header, so that's
coming through as is.  If this thing comes through with HTML, then maybe I
shouldn't have done the final select-clearing click; sorry, but the successful
trial was way back in April and I can't remember exactly what I did then.

That's the key--in later editions of AOL, I guess they've still got HTML
removal capability, but it's relatively hidden.  This is being sent from AOL 6.0;
I've kept a 4.0 program for years because I was able to preset HTML-free
messages at the Preferences level on it.  Try the above protocol with later AOL
editions and perhaps it will make it through OK.

Everyone who's on AOL (you know who you are :-), give the above method a try.
 It may be lurking in other online services as well--give the Select:All and
right-click method a go and see.  As Ron says, purging HTML is a fine way to
show consideration for your fellow listmembers, as scrolling and deciphering
take valuable time away from the harmonica.  Listworkers are currently cranking
out unsung miracles behind the scenes toward improving list function, but in
the meantime, taking out HTML yourself is a worthy thing to do.

Harmonica content: June 16, 2004 was the centennial of the Dublin day
fictionally recreated in James Joyce's novel Ulysses.  The popular tune of the period
that crops up throughout the novel, "Love's Old Sweet Song," lays out well in
the upper register of the diatonic, so I did my bit to celebrate the
centennial by performing it on a pre-1920 Hohner "New Best Quality" at the open mic of
the monthly meeting of the Houston-area chapter of HOOT (Harmonica
Organization of Texas), and drinking copious amounts of Guinness at a blues jam
afterward.  Doing it in that order seemed best ;-).

Stephen Schneider