Re: Playing by Ear

I suppose much of knowing the harp is 'subconscious,' or perhaps
tactile or kinetically based.  But after a while you just know where
to go to play an Eb - automatically knowing blow or draw and slide
usage (or non-usage) and position on the harp.

So once I've figured out the scale degrees: 1 8 7 6 5 4 3 3 3...  I
choose the key, turn the sequence into notes: Eb Eb D C Bb Ab G G G,
and then go find them using my knowledge of the instrument.

I started out doing this in diatonic, and it was much easier to
master the layout.  But for something chromatic like the bridge for
As Time Goes By, I'd rather have all the notes without bending and /
or overbending (which I can't do).

I should mention that this is my approach to playing melodies on
piano and guitar as well: know the song, then know where the notes
are and be able to go right to them.  And I still think that knowing
where the notes are can be learned fairly quickly.  But being able to
think in scale degrees, to me, is like being able to hear a language
and understand it immediately.

Take the piano for example.  Anyone can quickly learn the 12 notes
and go right to them on demand.  But many people would struggle to
play The Christmas Song in the key of B major without fumbling
around.  This is probably because they're not thinking in scale
degrees for every single note (which requires some discipline, but
gets easier after a while), but instead are falling back on a
guesstimate strategy - "Hmmm, it's a big leap here so I'll jump this
many keys and hope for the best...  *clunk*  Oops, that wasn't
right."  This second method is the time and energy-consuming
'relative interval' approach that I don't like to use.

I'd say it took me 4 years of musicianship courses in college to get
to this point, and I didn't really start playing the harmonica until
after I graduated.  But I can listen to most well-behaved melodies
and convert them into scale degrees right away.  I don't even like to
use the term 'convert' because every note I hear already arrives in
my head as a scale degree.

Patrick

PS. Complex jazz frustrates me.  I hear a note and think it's
definitely a 3rd scale degree at that moment, but 10 seconds later
the piece has modulated through so many key areas I can't even
remember what country I'm in.