RE: Playing by Ear

d. m. fairweather asked:
I have a question for some of the more accomplished players on
harp-l, both chromatic and diatonic.  If you want to play a melody
you've never played before, by ear - can you play it mistake-free the
first time you try?   In one key?  In several keys?  In any key?

I ask because that is my goal.  Let's say the melody is "As Time Goes
By".  I know perfectly well how that song goes.  But I've never
attempted it.   I want to be able to pick up my harp and play it
perfectly the very first time I try, without having any sheet music
in front of me.   At least in one or two keys, and someday in any key
or at least the key the song was written in.   Is this a realistic
goal?
_________
Hi David,
That's a good post and it got me to wondering, so I yanked out a
diatonic and attempted "As Time Goes By."  Initially I tried it in
second position -- got about a dozen notes in w/ no errors, but then
floundered because not all the notes are there (unless one overblows?)

Then I tried it in first position.  All the notes are there that way,
but I sure as hell couldn't get through it with no errors at all...
Hmmm...

Then I tried it on guitar, an instrument I've been playing for 42
years.  Several errors!

How humbling!

Your goal seems like a wonderful goal to me -- not only for diatonic
and chromatic players, but for all musicians, whatever their
instruments...

cheers,

Tom Ball