RE : five minutes a day

   Dear list,

   This thread is VERY interesting for an european mind and, IMHO, has A
LOT to do with "instant gratification" so engrained in the american
psyche.
   Who wants to believe that by practicing 5 minutes a day, repeat 5
minutes a day, one can make significant progress on the harmonica or,
for that matter, on any other instrument ?
   It seems to me as common sense that the more you practice the better
you become. I remember a post by Douglas Tate stating that he worked on
his scales for years, several hours everyday...
   If this "5 minutes a day" thing means that you have to, repeat have
to, practice everyday, preferably at the same time, I can agree. If it's
meant as an insurance policy for getting better, I flatly refuse it.
   I live in Vienna (Austria), a city that has been producing the best
classical musicians for the last four centuries. A japanese friend of
mine is curretnly trying to graduate for one of the better music schools
here. He is allready in total command of his instrument (cello). He
practices at least, repeat at least, eight hours a day. I agree that
this in kinda extreme. But this is what it takes here.
   The very small but vibrant blues scene has some outstanding
musicians. Each and everyone tells me that he works his instrument
several hours a day: practicing, rehearsing, recording or gigging.
   Being myself in the learning process (I am 54 and took up the
instrument again 6 years ago after leaving it in the closet for 30
years), it appears to me that I need AT LEAST 30 minutes to an hour a
day TO KEEP UP with my actual playing level. I would characterize myself
as an advanced intermediate player (I master all bends, most of the OBs
and Ods and am proficient at TB). So what are 30 minutes a day for the
harp ? Answer is simple: alltogether an act of love, a statement of will
power (if Kim can do it I can do it too!) and a therapy.
   Practice, practice regularly, practice consciously and...as much as
you can! IT WILL PAY OFF!!!
   Respectfully.
   Sunnyside