Re: Five Minutes/day

However plausible a theory is, and however
well-regarded its proponents, a theory is tested only
by actually testing it.

What's the evidence that five minutes works?

We all agree that regular practice is best, and I
believe most teachers would prefer "regular" to
"lengthy." The key here is really the five minutes.

During the workweek I put in a daily 10 minutes. It's
10 determined and heartfelt minutes where I go after
whatever bothers me most about my playing. I can't
begin to pretend that this sip of practice time takes
me anywhere new. It's maintenance, to keep me from
sliding, and barely adequate.

So what's your experience with this technique? Whom
has it worked for? And what exactly is the claim? Is
it that five minutes a day is better than 35 minutes
once a week? Is it that five minutes a day is better
than an hour once a week? Or is the claim simply that
it's better than nothing?

Ben Nathanson