Obscure Lyrics/Gwen Foster/Corrected from Earlier Blank Post

Hey Rick,

    The only time I've seen the phrase "rail and chain" used--and it's used
fairly widely within this tiny subculture--is to describe a conveyor-belt type
of load-delivery system used for cargo planes and--yes--railroads.  To go
further into the description of this mechanical device would combine total lack of
harp content with a level of boredom too painful to inflict on innocent
people.  Maybe it means the Gwen Foster tune really does refer to train
culture--some early bluesmen had day-gigs as Pullman porters, which was considered a very
good job back then--though I don't know of any black men involved with the
actual design of railroad cars.  (But the blues/train world of images is a rich
one, including Freddie King's Goin' Down--"Let me down/and close that boxcar
door," etc.)  I don't think I've been all that helpful, but darn it, I tried,
so I'm goin' back to Macon to get my hambone boiled.  OK?

Peace and Respect
Johnny T