Re: Giving kids musical pleasure was Re: Standardizing...Going to Spah etc

Iceman's got a good point, you can encourage kids, but don't get your hopes
up too high. My kids got me started in music as they were both learning
guitar, now I'm the one still playing, my daughter hasn't touched her guitar
once in more than two years and my son who was a whiz by the age of 16
hardly touches his guitar now that he's 18. He can still play, but its not
like it was. He has forgotten every tune he learned. He needed a band to
play with and it never happened, he's not an organiser he's just a kid.
Maybe some day it will happen.

It does not matter what you do, kids will do what they like and there's
little you can do. Even if you get them to play music or sports or arts, one
day they will most likely stop and take up something else (hopefully it
won't be drugs or nose rings).  We did this all our lives and we are still
picking, choosing and eventually moving on. For me it was hockey, squash,
aerobics,  cycling, gardening,  mountain biking, music, harmonica, downhill
biking and one day perhaps golf. Once you get to a plateau, you often move
on because you can't get better without devoting your hole life to something
and if you don't improve, you lose your motivation and eventually you move
on to something new and exciting. Its just a normal cycle.

Such is life, if you forget this you will be disappointed and your kids will
feel it. Be happy with whatever constructive things your kids do.

Sorry to be preachy but I learned the hard way. I hope my perspective can
help people with younger kids.

Pierre.

PS: I got my son into road biking and today he is into serious downhill
biking, that's way better than drugs. The bike is so expensive he plain
can't afford them.