Re: Early Amplifier Experiences

On 6/10/04 4:48 AM, Keith Dunn wrote:

> I joined an electric band so I had to have an amp. I had Premiers, =
> Magnatones, Silvertones and such, preferring to use what others did not, =
> hoping for a slightly different sound and to save money as well. I do =
> not know about the rest of the country, but in the Boston area at that =
> time, the Super Reverb remained the harp and guitar amp of choice for =
> most players. This began to change after the Thunderbirds came up from =
> Texas and played at Bunratty=92s in Boston for the first time in the =
> late 70s.=20
>
> JimmieVaughan and Kim Wilson both had two Bassmans and the entire band, =
> with Mike Buck on drums and Keith Ferguson on bass, played superbly. =
> They all obviously knew the music of their heroes but did not let their =
> knowledge restrict them. They had their own style and it was wild. I =
> suppose it could be argued that the band had something to do with the =
> resurrection of the Bassman.=20

Thanks for your informative post, Keith.

This perhaps sheds some light on how, in at least one region, the Bassman
got it's reputation as a great harp amp, despite the intended design purpose
that seemingly makes it the most unlikely candidate.

It's quite interesting that although many of us understand and agree that
it's the player who is responsible for tone, we nonetheless may be
influenced to some degree by  a player or players and their choice of gear.

Ray.