Re: Ray Charles r.i.p.

There might not be much harp in Ray's music, but I think the posts on
this lists show the profound influence this guy had on people due to the
soulfullness of his music.
I grew up listening to Ray Charles.  He is the first rhythm and blues I
can remember hearing.  My father was into country and bluegrass, big
band, early 50's pop, but he had a strong love for the music of Ray
Charles.  It was the only funky stuff I remember him listening to.
When I was a kid and we went out to eat, if the restaurant had a
jukebox, my brother and I would hit my father up for change to go play
some tunes on the jukebox.  Dad would give us change, but always wanted
us to play one tune for him.  Dad would assess the place and make his
request based on the music he thought they would have on there.   "Play
something by Hank Williams" or Glen Miller or Flatt &Scruggs.  I
remember one time when I was 7 or 8, he handed me a quarter (5 tunes for
a quarter back then) and told me to play something by Ray Charles.  I
found "I Can't Stop Loving You" by the Ray Charles Singers, so I punched
that in.  When I got back to the table, he asked if I found anything by
Ray Charles.  I told him the song I selected and he smiled and said,
"Good!"  When the song came on, he went through the roof.  "That's not
Ray Charles", he said, and proceeded to give me a lecture on why that
was a Ray Charles song and those were the Ray Charles Singers, but that
could never be as good as Ray Charles because they just didn't do it the
way Ray did.  It's a lesson I never forgot.  Looking back, that may have
been one of the most important lessons I ever had on putting feeling
into a song.  I'm sure that incident played a major role in developing
the musical tastes I have today.
Ray was the original crossover artist and the first ambassador for
rhythm and blues.  He will be missed.

Russ