Re: Country/Rock Fiddle Parts question

Well, this is a LONG way from Uncle Tupelo and Son Volt (a couple of
my favorite bands!), but my favorite harp-for-fiddle rock tune is the
live (Woodstock?) version of the Who doing Baba O'Reilly, with Daltry
doing the fiddle part at the end on harp.  It's very simple (second
position, I believe), but works very well.

I always thought Jay Farrar (of the two above bands) under-utilized
the harp in his music.  It's mostly restricted to a sort of Dylan-
esque wheezing through a rack mount.  There's one really interesting
tune on Wide Swing Tremolo that starts with a really crazy sounding
mix of minor keyed stuff that would be damned hard to reproduce
live.  Most of the stuff from Trace is pretty straighforward country
in theme and feel, though there are some unusual changes, it's not
too hard to play in 2nd position.  I'm not sure I'd try to do the
fiddle parts as much as just add a layer of country harp to it.

I never thought I'd see Son Volt mentioned on this list!  Thanks, Jp.

- -tim

Tim Moyer
Working Man's Harps
http://www.workingmansharps.com/

- --- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Jp Pagan <jpl_pagan@xxxx>
wrote:

Hi All,

  this is kind of nebulous question, i know, but it's
stuck in my brain a little. i love the fiddle parts in
some country/rock music, like the Tarbox Ramblers,
Uncle Tupelo, and Son Volt. i suppose most of y'all
have never heard of those bands, but still...
  it's hard to make out excatly what's being played
most of the time (what with the crunchy guitar in the
foreground) but does anyone have any suggestions for
playing fiddle parts on harp? for a diatonic, might
certain positions be favored, for example? and of
course, if you know this music, are there any songs
you could give specific pointers on?

    thanks in advance,
                   --Jp