Re: Yet Another Juke Question[long reply]

- --- Howard Chandler <chandler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> How many of you folks are playing these
> songs note for note and how many are keeping it
> loose.

I don't do too many Little Walter instrumentals,
occasionally "Rocker" or "Fast Large One", but when I
do I do the head and that's it. As much as I love
Little Walter and have learned a lot of his stuff note
for note I don't see much point in performing it that
way. I certainly may reference his licks in certain
tunes or play a particularly memorable lick from the
recording but I don't play them note for note.

I do have a couple of "in the style of" instrumentals
that I have written. My last CD had an "Off the Wall"
inspired thing and my next CD will have a "Flying
Saucer" type of instrumental.

I think traditional musicians are in an interesting
place as far as original music. As Rod Piazza says
it's about trying to do something original and
innovative within that somewhat strict set of rules of
traditional Blues. At the same time a few weeks ago
when he was producing my next CD, Rick Holsmtrom was
saying that to him a lot of original traditional blues
CDs become "Here's my Jimmy Reed style tune" "Here's
my Little Walter tune" "Here's my T-bone jump tune"
etc. And I agree and I'm as guilty of that as anybody
but I also think that's the fun of it. How far out and
creative can you be and still pay respect to those who
have come before you and influenced you?

Ryan Hartt