Keyboard Amp

Dear List,

I have the same problem most of us do when it comes to playing out. I
often can't hear myself on stage. Our band plays in such a variety of
places (with our own PA, with the club's PA, with a soundman, without a
soundman, etc.) that I never have a consistent feel for what I'm
playing on stage. The most frustrating thing about this is that it
forces you to sacrifice the quality/complexity of your playing (simpler
riffs, less low-end, etc.). I saw Richard Hunter's advice about trying
a keyboard amp (on his website) and picked up a used Peavey KB-60 on
E-bay for around $200. It's been great so far. I put it right in front
of me (facing the mic stand) and it's like I have my own personal stage
monitor with volume control. As the band starts to get louder through
the course of a gig I can easily tweak my volume up to compensate and
it doesn't bother anyone else. I run a line-out to the board and the
amp. has built in EQ and a pre-amp to boost my mic signal. I play
mostly alt-country/honky tonk stuff (not so much overdriven blues) so I
don't need the tube sound as much (although I have an amp that I can
use for those gigs). For a cleaner sound, and for the sheer joy of
being able to hear your own playing clearly, this amp is hard to beat.
Hat's off to Richard Hunter.

Best wishes,
Grant Kester