Re: Max Geldray

At 04:29 14/07/2004, jim quinlan wrote:
>Can anyone fill in some info on a chromatic player named Max Geldray? Just
>heard some wonderful recordings with him fronting a jazz big band, the
>charts were great. I know these recordings were part of a 1960's british
>comedy show featuring Peter Sellers and Spike Milligan. Thanks in advance
>for your trouble.
>
>Jim Quinlan
>Quakertown PA

As you say, Max was the harmonica player for the anarchic radio
comedy  'The Goon Show'.
I believe that he was born in Belgium but lived in England for some
time.  He was well loved and played a MEAN harmonica in melodic jazz
style.  The program went out every week and was eagerly awaited by all
harmonica players. (at the same time two other giants were playing similar
spots in other comedy shows... Ronald Chesney and Tommy Reilly... Larry
Adler was also on the radio with great regularity... what a time to be
alive and learning harmonica)

Max sort of dropped out of the scene after a while and went to America.   I
understand that he has done a considerable amount of charity  work in
conjunction with hospitals... and, 50 years after the Goon Show is STILL
working in this way.   Max was, and I presume still is, a lovely guy.  I
had the pleasure of meeting him a couple of times.

Douglas Tate