Re: opinions on :best reverb unit and the beyerdynamic m160

<quote>
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2004 09:33:33 -0400
From: Richard Hunter <turtlehill@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: opinions on :best reverb unit and the beyerdynamic m160

If you want a stompbox, the new Digitech X-series
reverb is a very nice unit for about $100. "Nice" in this case means the
reverbs sound good, the pedal has very low self-noise, and it's built to
withstand stage use. I've tested it, and certainly thought it suitable
for performance.

Others on this list have mentioned the E-H "holy Grail."  Boss also
makes a stompbox reverb that's highly regarded, more or less in the same
price range.
</quote>

To add to Richard's post
I'm very pleased with the Digitech Series X DigiVerb - its got a wide
selection of reverb effects with plenty of control and built solidly.  It
can run on a battery, but being a digital unit it starts to run out of juice
after 30 mins. I use rechargable NiMh batteries and rotate them recharging
one, one spare charged, and one in use.  Its a 9 volt device so you can use
any of the ubiquitous pedal power supplies available  so long as its got
enough Watts - I use 600mWatt 9volt wall warts which are well designed small
and fit snuggly one next to the other (or any other plug you may want to use
next to them) unlike the old boxey wall warts musicians complain about.

The original E-H "Holy Grail" only has 2 types of reverb, the Digiverb has 7
types and both the E-H revebs requires the use of a 12volt adapter provided
with the pedal.

I A:B'd the Boss Digital reverb next to the Digitech X Series Digiverb.  The
Boss unit cost NZ$400 new, the Digitech unit cost NZ$300 new.   The only
difference in features is the Boss unit has stereo input and the Digitech
units has mono input.  Both have stereo output.   In terms of quality the
Boss was crap sounding synthethic with nasty harsh breakup throughout, and
the Digiverb was good and sounded convincing, definitely better than some
units I've trialed.

On a different note, the Digitech X Series Digital Delay pedal has a tap
feature which is almost essential if you want to use Delay or Echo for more
than a bit of slap back - if its anywhere as good as their Reverb I'm going
to save up and get one, my Dan Electro Dan Echo's days are numbered - good
as it is after the mod, it doesn't have tap.

I've read up on Lexicon and Behringer's rack effects units like what Richard
mentioned, and on paper they look very good - the Line6 POD series have been
totally superceded.

- -- G.