Re: opinions on :best reverb unit and the beyerdynamic m160

First, the Beyerdynamic M160 is a double ribbon mic, and is NOT the
equivalent of the M500.  Do NOT buy the 500 if you want an M160.

Regarding reverbs, ask first whether you want a stompbox reverb (i.e. a
floor mounted unit operated via footswitch, used mainly for stage
performance) or something more flexible that can be used in studio as
well as onstage.  If you want a stompbox, the new Digitech X-series
reverb is a very nice unit for about $100. "Nice" in this case means the
reverbs sound good, the pedal has very low self-noise, and it's built to
withstand stage use. I've tested it, and certainly thought it suitable
for performance.

Others on this list have mentioned the E-H "holy Grail."  Boss also
makes a stompbox reverb that's highly regarded, more or less in the same
price range.

On the stage-and-studio side, consider first the Lexicon MPX 110, at
about $200 retail an absolutely terrific value, excellent for home and
project studios as well as stage.  It has wonderfully lush delays,
flanges, and choruses as well as reverbs.  You very rarely see these
units for sale used, because no one who's bought one ever gets rid of
it.  The TC Electronics M-300 is in the same class in price and
performance.
At about $100, the Alesis Nanoverb is a good, flexible unit with good
reverbs, a decent but less flexible delay, and relatively poor effects
like flange and chorus.  The Alesis Picoverb offers decent reverbs at
about $80.

On the no-longer-in-production-but-good-stuff side, try a Yamaha R-100.
These can be acquired from used instrument dealers like Daddy's Junky
Music for $40-50 used, and they produce very nice reverb sounds with
very little noise.  I've used one on recordings as well, and no
knowledgeable listener ever told me the reverbs weren't good enough.

Final comment: choice of sounds is very personal, and what any player
needs ultimately is gear that inspires him or her.  There's no way to
know what will inspire you until you hear it; what inspires you does not
necessarily inspire me, and vice versa.  Therefore, I strongly recommend
that you make a trip to a well-equipped musical instrument store, money
in hand, plug in your mic, and test all the available reverbs, one by
one, until something blows your mind.  Then buy the unit that blew your
mind.

Thanks and regards, Richard Hunter