Re: Tube Question

Hi,
I own a REAL '59 Bassman, and what the tubes should be as far as the numbers
go from preamp to rectifier are:
12AY7/6072--12AX7--12AX7--5881--5881--5AR4/GZ34. I much prefer NOS (new old
stock) tubes as although they're more expensive, but they BOTH sound better
and last CONSIDERABLY longer than any of the newer production tubes. My
preference for the 12AY7 is a GE black plated 5 star 6072, which is a
military grade version (heavy duty components). The 1st 12AX7 I use is an
early 60's REAL 12AX7, as most today are really 12AX7A's, which to make them
quieter, they boosted the treble response on them. The other 12AX7 I use is
a Phillips/Sylvania. I use Phillips 5881's, which are very close to the
original Tung Sol's that were original equipment and is more plentiful as
well as less expensive, The tube rectifier I use is made by Mullard, and
they're not cheap, but they are the FINEST quality 5AR4/GZ34 ever made. I
wouldn't use ANY Chinese made tubes as they are generally of very poor
quality. The best quality new production tubes being made are by SED of
Russia, which are made from a different factory in Russia than the Ruby,
Electro Harmonix, and many of the Groove Tubes, and their 6L6's are the
closest thing to an NOS GE made in the USA of any I've ever run across.
Other newer production tubes worth a damn are JJ's (which make, IMO, the
best quality newer production EL84/6BQ5's, a good 6L6, and best newer
production 12AX7's and 5AR4/GZ34's), and EI's, which can be hit or miss.
Make sure that for the power and rectifier tubes that the amp is PROPERLY
REBIASED to get optimum performance quality.

For the Blues Junior, one thing I would recommend is ditching the ceramic
magnet speaker they use, and get one with an alnico magnet with a voice coil
of no larger than 1" so it breaks up earlier and there'll be no need for the
master volume garbage (on those amps, to turn that circuit off, turn the
master all the way up). Eminence Legend (make sure it's not rated higher
than 25 watts), Jensen P12R reissues, or a Weber SVT are the recommended
choices. That alone will make a dramatic, more harp friendly change.

As far as my settings go on the Bassman, I use Astatic JT30's both crystal
and/or ceramic, I always plug into the #1 input in the normal channel, and
set the normal channel into the brink of feedback, and then the bright
volume on 6, treble is completely rolled off, Bass anywhere between 6 & 7,
middle at around 3-5,  and the presence at 8 and no higher than 10.

Sincerely,
Barbeque Bob Maglinte
Boston, MA
http://www.barbequebob.com