RE: Intervals

Richard Smith writes:

When tuning a guitar by ear, I use "sail-ing, sail-ing",
and "swing-low" [as in sweet chariot] to match the 2 different
intervals between the open strings. I believe that "sail-ing"
is a 4th; but what would you call "swing-low"? Do you think
of it as a flat 6th (from B to G)? Or since the interval is
downward in pitch, do you think of it as a 3rd in reverse
(from G to B in reverse)?

Swing...Low sounds like a major third to me.  Check it out against the
interval tutor site below.

http://www.musicalintervalstutor.info/

Best Regards to all,

Larry Boy Pratt