Re: DeFord Bailey - material recommended?

Jervis Groeneveld wrote:

>I just discovered DeFord Bailey with two songs on Yazoo's Harmonica Masters
>CD's and that is some inspiring stuff I want to dive into! I checked
>available material on Amazon.com, but the only thing that showed up was an
>audio CD called "The Legendary DeFord Bailey: Country Music's First Black
>Star". It costs 55 dollars, the audio clips sounded cool, but before
>spending that amount of money: what other material can you recommend? Please
>also mention record labels (if possible).

To cut a long story short, anything by DeFord Bailey is worth hearing.
I am sure that you should be able to get "The Legendary DeFord Bailey"
for less than $55, but IMO a better starting point would be the
Document Records collection of his early recordings. Full details of
that CD are listed here along with some other stuff that might catch
your interest:

http://www.patmissin.com/ffaq/q18.html

There is also a biography of DeFord Bailey written by David Morton,
which was available from Amazon the last time I checked. It's an
excellent read.

 -- Pat.