Re: 59 Bassman Limited ---> 57 Twin

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "George Brooks" <gbrooks1@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "Harp-l" <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, February 27, 2004 9:16 PM
Subject: 59 Bassman Limited ---> 57 Twin

> BBQ Bob wrote:
>
> >The difference between the '59 Bassman
> >and '59 Twin was the Twins used 12" speakers
> >(P12R Jensens) and used a quartet of 5881's.
>
> I remember reading on the Victoria Amp website that the transformers were
> very different between the two.  Unfortunately, I cannot access that page
> now.  According to my recollection, the Bassman had an interleaved
> transformer.  I don't know what that means, but it's a bragging point
among
> many of the boutique amp builders.  The transformer in the Twin was
> non-interleaved and, apparently, huge.
>
> George

Hi George,
The complete info on differences between a real '59 Bassman and the Fender
reissues are explained in complete detail in a chapter in Gerald Weber's
book "A Desktop Reference of Hip Vintage Guitar Amps," and it is THE best
chapter on this subject, hands down, and you can get from his website
http://www.kendrick-amps.com or at http://www.amazon.com. It will also
explain the difference in the transformers too, and the old ones were made
on paper bobbins and the interleaving explains the way they're wound on the
bobbin and made by Triad. The ones on the RI's are from an entirely
different vendor and manufacturing technique that does affect the sound.

Sincerely,
Barbeque Bob Maglinte
Boston, MA
http://www.barbequebob.com