RE: un-bending (was: playing in tune on diatonic)

after bending a note, the next note played is flat (assuming its not meant
to be). I place way  more importance on playing a note in its 'natural'
pitch.
 =====================================

Yes, in fact I teach some students to "unbend" because their throat position
is too closed and some notes get squeezed flat.

My remedy for "unbending" is

1. exhale completely
2. chin up slightly
3. draw (the one troubled hole)
4. hold it forever, no matter what it sounds like.

I know you cant hold it forever, but it sets up the expectation to sustain
that note. Just before the very end of that draw, (when lungs are almost
full) you will hear the reed rise to its normal pitch. The student hears it,
and they can usually tell me what they felt in the throat that changed.

Second remedy is to play a tuner tone near their ear while they draw the
troubled note. Most students can relax, and open up the throat and hear
their pitch come up to match the tuner tone.

Robert Hale
"the Duke Of Wail"
Coaching By Telephone
MailTo:HarmonicaTeacher@xxxxxxx