Channeling the Rage (was somethin' else)

- --- Chris Michalek <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> yeah, but the best players often begin their
> solos with intent but transition into
> inspiration and then back into intent.  Listen to
> guys like Howard Levy or Michael Brecker you can
> tell when they are "thinking" and when they
> are "feeling"
>
> I call this "channeling to rage and finding
> resolution"

"Channeling the Rage." A very cool concept.

I really like this approach (not that I would
consider myself among "the best" players). But I
often ~try~ very consciously, start my solos with a
deliberate musical statement (based on something
within the song, like the head) and then just flow
out for a while, allowing myself to experiment and
take musical risks, build excitement/tension etc.

Then I'll try to reign it all in toward the end to
re-iterate the original musical statement (or
something closely related).

To me, this makes for a very satisfying solo.

Now, whether any of that is played "in tune" is a
whole 'nother question. I highly doubt it as I've
never really thought much about this whole issue. I
rely heavily on my ears to tell me where I am,
tonally speaking and try to adjust on the fly. If
it sounds good, it sounds good. If not, I get the
heck off the phreakin' stage. LOL!!

Harpin in Colorado,
- --Ken M.

P.S. I admire the heck out of you guys! :-)

=====
"When you speak of Walter Horton, the first thing you think of is his tone, that big, fat tone."
- ---Li'l Ronnie Owens