Richard Hunter free music download for February 2004

Hi all,

My latest free MP3, a piece of Gothic harmonica rock titled "Black
Widow", will be made available to subscribers to my free "Jacked In"
subscription list for download this Saturday.  Instructions on how to
subscribe -- did I mention that it's free? -- are available at
http://www.hunterharp.com/freemus.html.

In December I released "Minor Kill", a power-trio blues inspired by Jimi
Hendrix, to my subscribers.  That piece got lots of great feedback, so
of course "Black Widow" is something completely different, much more
"composed" and unusual in sound and composition.  It began life as a
harp riff in an unusual scale, and eventually came to include material
that's almost classical in feel, plus a bunch of heavy synths and
massively processed harp sounds.  I'm submitting this piece for
consideration for inclusion in a vampire movie soundtrack in a few
weeks, and one listen will tell you why.

The harmonica parts on "Black Widow" were played through a Labtec AM-22
computer mic into two different effects devices: an Akai phase shifter,
and a Digitech RP200.  These parts were then processed with a variety of
software, including envelope filters, resonant filters, and so on.  The
result is parts that are obviously played on harmonicas, with a very
electronic feel.  They're a good match for the synth stuff, all of which
was generated by my Roland JV-1010.

There's some blues in almost everything I do, and "Black Widow" is no
exception.  Do vampires get the blues?  I reckon.

That's all the tech stuff.  Enjoy.

Thanks and regards, Richard Hunter
http://www.hunterharp.com
Turtle Hill Productions