son of gear lust

It's hard to explain gear lust to someone who hasn't experienced the epiphany.
You can play through just about any amp and get a nice sound, fine for live
work, loud enough to compete with guitars and drummers. Any Fender amp 50 watts
or more will be way too loud past 2 and will adequately reproduce your
tone.Turn the treble way down, turn the bass up a little. Stand off to the side.

But wait untill you find your amp. It doesn't have to be an expensive amp with
all the bells and whistles, just one that fits you. It's magic. My friend Steve
has a 48 Champ. That thing matches my mic (a Mexican bullet) and my playing
style perfectly. Playing it is a dream. Steve starts playing power chords, I
hit a few octaves and we're in rock and roll heaven. Real musical compression.
Very nice warm distortion.Sort of built in EQ with the small speaker. Steve
usually plays with octave pedals and such, so the champ cuts some of the real
low out of the harp, actually cleans up mix-less muddy. Plenty of bass, just
not too much-not boomy.

You just have to experience it.

Try before you buy. All those new boutique amps look so cool, and those vintage
amp ads sound like vintage wine reviews. They may not be the amp for you.Try it
out with your mic and your band see how it sounds. Try some recording with it.
Courtship is always thrilling, but is this the amp you want to spend the rest
of your life with? You don't need big bucks to get big sound. Check out your
friend's amps as well. If you like a nice clean sound and you have the bucks
try a black face Pro Reverb with a Shure unisphere. Very nice.Killer for
chromatic.

Rainbow Jimmy
http://www.spaceanimals.com
http://www.soundclick.com/theelectricstarlightspaceanimals.htm