Re: Amp

In a message dated 2/16/04 1:25:17 PM Eastern Standard Time, rok68@xxxxxx
writes:
Dear list,

   I own a beautiful little 1957 Magnatone, model A-646. Sound is interesting
and tight but distorsion is just too heavy. What can I do to get it to play
"cleaner"? Tubes are as follows: Sylvania Jan 5Y3W GTA (brown base), Sylvania
6V6 GT/G (black base) and Tung Sol 6SLG (black base).

   Sunnyside
Sunny Side,

What you are looking for is more headroom from the amp. The only thing that
you can do is turn the amp down. That is the problem with small single-ended
tube amps:

1. They have almost no power
2. they distort at low volumes
3. Are almost unworkable in a gigging situation

My advice is to either play the amp at low volume at the point it just starts
breaking up and mic it through the PA, or find another amp.

Andrew