[Harp-L] Re Merry Christmas

Jack, thanks for the story. My dad wanted me to let you know... Wait I will
quote him-

"And did you send Jack Ely a Greeting from Harmonica John? And did you
explain to him the way you got yours? And did you remember to tell him who
it was that taught you how to get it to play a real tune? Maybe you should
let him know of your celebrity as Harmonica John in the local music
communities!

Just a few thoughts passed your way with Love   Dad"

My grandpa had harmonicas around when I was a kid. They would have family
jams in Grandma and Grandpa Frazer's living room. Grandma played the organ,
Grandpa played banjo, My dad played trumpet, Uncles played Souzaphone,
euphonium, and trombone.  I was told to go outside and play the harmonica I
found. I was not good enough to jam with them. I got hours of pleasure
running around breathing in and out-- WEE WAH WEE WAH WEE WAH WEE WAH WEE
WAH WEE WAH WEE WAH WEE WAH WEE WAH WEE WAH WEE WAH WEE WAH WEE WAH WEE WAH
WEE WAH WEE WAH WEE WAH WEE WAH WEE WAH WEE WAH WEE WAH WEE WAH WEE WAH
I never could find the harmonicas any more after a couple of visits.

Fast forward to 1970- I traded my drumset to the assholes across the street
while under the influence (for the first of many times) of weed-
specifically Acapulco Gold, I was told- for some (most likely hot) shorty
twin diving tanks sans regulator. I had no means of letting the music in me
out. Then my friend, Steve, inspired by local harp legend Kenny Schoppmeier,
bought a harmonica, which I promptly borrowed and started to learn to play.
I finally had to give his back and buy my own. I thought I was pretty good.

My grandparents came out to visit and I went on a trip with them to
Yosemite. In the car I played my harmonica a bit and Grandpa requested a
song, which I could not play. He kept requesting songs- Barbershop tunes-
and I was unable to play them. I had to work on those skills. My playing
improved a lot after teaching myself some of those tunes.

Oh, yeah. I am a minor celebrity in the local San Diego music scene. As my
daughter says, I have tens of fans. If you are in San Diego, I will be
playing drums and harmonica (simultaneously) with Chet and the Committee New
Years eve at the Downtown Café in El Cajon. Chet also plays some harp. I
taught him the basics of 3rd position chromatic and he does fine.

MERRY CHRISTMAS JACK AND ALL YOU OTHER HARMONICA MONKEYS!!

hj