RE: [Harp-L] jason ricci

Interesting. To set the record straight, those comments I made were a
mixture of *my* interpretation of comments I'd seen on Jason's site
*and* things I've heard others say in response to the "Popper" question.
I don't know the playing of Popper or Sugar Blue well enough yet to form
my own opinion. I guess I need to listen to some of their stuff. But
most importantly, I want to make sure that nobody takes what I said as
any direct quote from Jason's site. While his site has very opinionated
comments, and he makes it clear he's not a fan of their styles or
chromatic playing, it didn't say any of the things *verbatim* I had in
my post. And he didn't say any of those playing styles or players were
bad, just that they're "not his thing".

I checked out the article Shane posted. Again, interesting. Popper does
talk about cross-harp but doesn't call it that "That's like when you're
using a C harp to play in G, so you get the flatted seventh". And they
talk about tongue blocking and using it for chords to accompany notes. I
stand corrected! (but do they use it?). I don't think Popper made his
stated goal of "King of the Blues" though! But he did some things with
the harmonica that the public at large liked, and thus did a service by
bringing it to the forefront as a "real" instrument in their eyes of
course, for what that's worth. Listening to the radio, I don't hold much
stock in what the "public at large" considers to be good music, haha.
I'm sure there's more to Popper than "Run-Around", I'll have to give him
a listen.

Bill Hines
Hershey, PA