RE: [Harp-L] jason ricci

I was just at Jason's web site today (www.jasonricci.net). There's some
great original stuff there, some live clips with the Knucklebusters. I'm
going to try to catch him in Philly next year.

One thing that struck me though, was reading his influences. Someone
else had asked something like "Why doesn't anyone like John Popper?" I
had wondered too, when I first started taking an interest in all things
harp and got a negative reaction when bringing up that name. Jason talks
about that quite a bit, discussing Popper and Sugar Blue. Those guys are
mostly 'speed' first position type of guys. They don't use the 'blues
harp' type techniques of bending, octaves, things like that very often.
Jason also discusses his views on chromatic harmonica. I think what it
boils down to is that chromatic players, and first position players like
Popper and Sugar Blue are "harmonica players". Others, who come from the
blues influence or use blues-originating techniques, are "blues harp
players", at least to me that is the distinction.

Now, before anyone gets mad, neither one is bad. Lots of people like
Blues Traveler's music (a number one hit with Run-Around after all,
wasn't it?). I personally don't like it that much (blues harp players
tend to think this first-position speed stuff is a cop-out or the 'easy
road'?), but I do love a lot of 'harmonica' music. I've been listening
to Larry Adler's chromatic stuff on the Midnight Cowboy soundtrack, and
it's awesome and melodic, especially the title track. Go and revisit it
(cheap way is to listen to the clips on Amazon).

But anyway, whoever asked about Popper, go read Jason's comments, it
will give you some idea why the blues-rooted purists, no matter how far
they've branched off the "Little Walter" thing as Jason has, don't care
for some of the other styles if you still want to know. Of course, we
CAN just all get along :^)

Bill Hines
Hershey, PA