[Harp-L] Re : Sonny Terry-Huang's?

Bryan Thomas asked :

" On the Huang site there is a pic of Sonny Terry and a (supposed) quote from him expressing his love for Huang harps and how that's all he plays, etc.

Any comments on this? "

Hurricane Sez :

I can't recall the exacts on this but when or on about the time I began to use Huangs almost exclusively ( both diatonic & chromatic in  1983 ) I found out Sonny Terry was using them . From what I remember it was not long after this he passed away and we're talking the late 70's early 1980's for me when I first began testing Huangs took a few years to begin  gravitating towards them , Sonny passed away I think in 85 or 86 .

As far as Huangs are concerned , I love em , I tweak em I blow em hard , they are really superb harmonicas and last , last , last .

How I select them :

I always test each and every one on a bellows before I take it/them home . In the early 90's I had purchased personally some sent to me by Mr. Huang and ended up with a great group of harmonicas .

After I thought about it to be truthful , I like setting up my own harmonicas after I end up with a more than satisfactory one(s) after I personally test them on a harmonica bellows , so after thinking it over a while , I decided to go out and purchase them myself from local music stores or where ever I find them when traveling , its faster than ordering them from Mr. Huang , who was so nice to offer me his direct assistance , although I did dig the fact I was direct with him at one time after we met at the NAMM show in Anaheim southern California , he was a very nice and courteous fellow after the initial ice melted :)

Presently I still use Huangs for live performances and recording sessions , in a pinch when I am in a jam , I still like and use Hohner SP20's , Golden Melody's  , Lee Oscar's , and still have my Haung 1248 & a Hohner Super 64 chromatic .

Happy Holidays

Sincerely :

Hurricane Ramón

aka :