[Harp-L] RE: Hering is here, now to clean...

Greg Heumann wrote:
"The HIV virus can not live long, if at all, in a harmonica, or any
other non-organic, non-wet environment. Period."

Absolutely true.  The chance that a harp player will get HIV from a dry
harmonica (or any other dry surface) is zero.

Greg continues:
"Personally, I believe that any germs it once carried are now dead,
and I would simply start enjoying it immediately."

The word "germ" refers to lots of different organisms. HIV is a virus,
and viruses differ from bacteria in important ways. Among other things,
bacteria form spores, and spores can live (with their encapsulated
bacteria) for thousands of years, or until a hospitable environment is
present.

In other words, even when a harp can be presumed free of contamination
by viruses, bacteria or spores may be present.  I'd certainly clean any
harp that had been played by someone else before I used it.

Thanks and regards, Richard Hunter
hunterharp.com