[Harp-L] To Winslow Yerxa Re: Elizabeth's questions on tremolo and chromatic

Winslow:

 You are a  PEACH!  I certainly didn't expect you to do the research
yourself.   After reading your response I think I'm leaning towards getting a new
chromatic  Eb, since I've already tried it with the 10-hole C chromatic and found
it much  too limiting.  Frankly, I want one in every key!

I did play a few songs  with the slide held in the entire time, but thought
that was something one  wasn't supposed to do.  Glad to hear I'm not as far out
as I thought.   TY, ty, ty.

Elizabeth

" EGS1217(Elizabeth) ... wrote:

Is there any way I  can  impose on any of you sweet,lovely harp-L people to
listen
to a track or two of  Peter's on his website:
_www.PeterWhite.com_ (http://www.PeterWhite.com)
(Coast Road  Drive  and Endless Journey from his latest  CD

====Winslow:

"Coast Road is in C# minor
Endless Journey is  in Eb.

C# minor plays without any slide motion on an E chromatic,  OR
on an Eb chromatic with the slide held in the whole time.

Endless  Jouney would play easily with an Eb chromatic, or with a D
chromatic with  the slide held in the whole time.

So you could do both these tunes on an  Eb chromatic.

Or you could learn those scales on a C chromatic.

It's not hard to play these keys on a C if you just remember which
notes need to have the slide in and which need to have it out. Just
noodle along with the track, trying to use the slide where needed.
This  can be a fun way to explore,

If it helps, make a picture of the holes  showing graphically which
blow and draw notes need to have the slide  in.

C# MINOR on a C chromatic

your home note can be found in the  following holes, with the SLIDE IN:
Blow 1, 4, 5, 8, 9, 12

For the  rest of the notes, should keep the slide pushed in
EXCEPT FOR:

Blow 2,  6, 10 - slide out
DRAW 3, 7, 11 - slide out
DRAW 4, 8, 12 - slide  out

Eb MAJOR on a C chromatic

You home note alwwasy has the slide  in. It can be found in Draw 1, 5, and 9.

SLIDE-IN NOTES:

Blow 2,3,  6,7, 10,11
Draw 1,3,4,  5,7,8,  9,11,12

SLIDE-OUT  NOTES:

Blow 1,3,4 -5,7,8 - ,9,11,12
Draw 1,2 - 5,6 - 9,10

NOTES  THAT GO BOTH WAYS

Some notes work with the slide either in or out, as  both notes are
part of the scale:

Draw 1, 5, 9

Blow 2, 6,  19

DUPLICATE NOTES

Some notes happen in more than one  place:

Blow 2(slide-in) and Draw 2 (same goes in holes 6 and  10)

Draw 4 (slide in), Blow 4, and Blow 5
(same goes for Draw 8(slide  in) and Blow 8 and Blow  9)

Winslow