[Harp-L] To Winslow Yerxa Re: Elizabeth's questions on tremolo and chromatic

Thank you Winslow:  In re your response to my:

"Can one tongue block on such an instrument?"

"It was designed for tongue-blocking. Listen to some of the  incredible
old-time French Canadian tremolo tongue blockers from the 1920s
and '30s on my Canadian harmonica  website:

http://www.angelfire.com/folk/harmonicanuck/

Some of this  may remind you of the Scottish music you grew up with -
something I play a  fair bit of myself. Scottish and Irish players
both use this instrument for  trad tunes."

EGS:   ...........Incredible music!  I thoroughly enjoyed the  reels. My only
complaint is that
there wasn't enough of it!   It  certainly did remind me of the Scottish
music I grew up with.  Lately I've been experimenting  with my keyboard to
duplicate the sound  of the bagpipes too.

...."3)  Then my chromatic (Hohner chromonica 10 CG)  which  is probably
my  favorite for the way I like to play, but  doesn't allow me to accompany
my favorite guitarist Peter White's CD's (Confidential &  Glow his 2
latest).

=====Winslow:

A CG chromatic?  Doesn't aound familiar. A chromatic usually plays in
one key (like C) with  the button out and a semitone higher (like C#)
with the button in. Using the  button to alternate between the two you
can create any scale in any key.  Find out what keys Peter White's
tunes are in, then find out how to play the  scales for those keys.
It's not as easy (at first) as playing diatonic, but  some incredible
playing is possible with this.

If he plays a lot in keys like A, E, and D, a harmonica in  that group
of keys (known as sharp keys because to create a major scale out  of
the basic C scale you have to raise the pitch - sharp - some of the
notes) might be best. If he plays in flat keys (where notes of the C
scale are lowered or flattened in pitch) like F, Bb, Eb, Ab, then a
you'll probably have an easier time with an instrument in one of
those  keys.

EGS..........Of course you're correct.   I'd cut  and pasted and forgot to
remove the CG
 designation.  It is a C chromatic.  Even  though I just attended Peter's
concert
 here in NY, I was too embarrassed to ask him what key he  primarily plays in,
 and I don't know how to tell, since I do most of my  playing by ear.  I only
know
 that most of it is not C or G.  Is there any way I  can impose on any of you
sweet,
 lovely harp-L people to listen to a track or two of  Peter's on his website:
_www.PeterWhite.com_ (http://www.PeterWhite.com)   (Coast Road Drive  and
Endless Journey from his latest CD
 Confidential are typical of his usual key) and then  let me know what you
think?
 I know this is an imposition........  I would feel  it worthwhile to buy one
chromatic
 for the express purpose of playing along with his  music.

In re your:  "A 12-hole is a good idea. These come in the  keys of C (the
highest-
pitched, like a regular C diatonic), Bb, A, G, F, E,  Eb, D, and low C.
Again, any
 of these can play in all 12 keys but some will be  more  convenient for
particular
keys and styles of music. There are also 14-hole and 16-hole  instruments, in
only, with extra notes on the bottom end. If you're coming  from a 10-hole,
those
 beasts might seem endless - the 12-hole is a nice  combination of compactness
 and range.  '

EGS.....Again-- I'd pretty much come to the same conclusion --  that a 12
hole would be
 the best choice, even though my favorite Echo is huge,  24 double hole on
each side.
 The smaller harmonicas just don't feel adequate to me,  but I've looked at
the larger    chromatics and my instinct is to  stick with the 12-hole.

In re your:  "The black, easy-to-dissassemble model  sounds like the Hohner
CX-12,
 a 12-hole model that is very highly regarded. It sells  for between $100 and
$150
 depending on the source, so all 9 keys could set you  back a fair bit.
Winslow"

EGS.....I  usually can talk my husband into getting me a "big" gift as a
combination for my
birthday and Christmas, but that would be a  wee bit steep.  I could just
imagine his
reaction!  The set I saw (in black) were somewhere in the  $300 - $400 range
for the
set of 9 if I remember correctly, but I don't believe they  were Hohner's and
I can't for the
life of me find the site where I saw  them.  I remember the selling point was
that  they
were specifically made to be much easier to open and work  on than are
Hohner's.
 If I manage to find it, I'd like to post it to get  opinions from the
experts here.  It's  still
 so amazing to me to have people of your caliber take the time to give advice
to ordinary  players like me.  Thank you so very much.