Re: [Harp-L] Re: Bob Dylan

Don't remember who else said it, but agreed that your point is well
thought out and well stated.  I'm clipping to get to the part I
wanted to reply to.

--- Dan <billybudd1313@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>   But what is it then?  Why does Alanis' record producer let her
> get away with "just breathing" on it  and we accept it.  A whole
> lot of people heard and accepted her harp playing too.   Why
> can't I go out learn to play really bad guitar and get it played
> on Billboard?
>
> That  "she likes me for me" song for another example of highly
> succesful tunes with "simple" harp playing.  Why bother working
> at it at all if Bob, Bruce, Alanis, etc. cleary show us that
> there's no point? Forget about overblows guys.  They don't
> matter.  Forget about positions ladies and gents, and toss out
> all discussion of emboucher.  All that work.....not necessary.
> Just re-define the instrument in your own terms.  And for god's
> sake, outlaw dodgeball in gym class.  It makes some of the kids
> feel bad.

Kind of ironic, but Nirvana just started in Launchcast.  That was
the thought I was just filling out when reading this thread.  I
read somewhere talking about Kurt, that he only needed to learn
enough music to write/guitar to express himself.  I've talked to
guys that started playing guitar and then learned their first
Nirvana song because they loved it.  Soon they learned the song and
quit playing guitar because the simplicity spoiled the joy and
mystery of musical exploration.  What's my point?  I'm not sure
whether that is rhetorical or not.  I guess what I'm getting at is
you need the tools to accomplish what you want.  Dylan had a hammer
and a saw, but preferred to use the rock and jawbone.  I'm at least
used to a hammer and saw and had to practice a bit to accompany my
friend for "All Along the Watchtower" on the rock and jawbone and
it's still not great.  Similarly, I have many years of practice
ahead of me before I can truly start to express what's inside me
through my guitar, but it didn't stop Kurt that he wasn't that
"good".

The other point I wanted to address with the same post is that
people who think Harp=Dylan/Young shouldn't be a target.  Harmonica
has had it's pop paraders since then and if you haven't payed
attention then you don't deserve the joy of listening to the
current front runners of the craft.  If anyone has even been to
their local blues establishment then they should acknowledge that
the little beast can cook in the right hands/mouth.

Winslow, thanks for your comments in this thread.  As always, they
were insightful and non-inflamatory even in a "heated" thread.

JD