Re: [Harp-L] Advice from Harp L for the LRBC Pro AM Jam

Professor Yerxa: great post, well thought out and helpful, as always!

I will chime in here, since Winslow seemed a bit unclear about the nature of these particular jams (and unlike me Dr. Alters is attending to his day job!) Winslow, you ought to come on the cruise!

Please excuse the length of this post, I am very interested inthis topic:

On last year's LRBC ( http://bluescruise.com/) (my first, not last!), the jamming was very laid back, pros would jump in with us "non-pros," altho frankly most of the jammers, whether paid LRBC giggers or paying passengers, were of pro or at least semi pro quality, very very few really rank amateurs! In a very few instances I noted some pros disgusted by errors made by some non-pros, but I figure the pros will get over it, unlike the few low-skilled amateurs - who'll never forget their chance to play with the big kids! Remember, nobody is forcing the pros to join in (maybe just beggin' em!)

So the jams being contemplated here (excuse me, Doc Alters, if I mis-state anything) are, I think, more about pros and non-pros mixing it up in a jam setting, not a group of pros jamming, then a group of non-pros jamming, then pros, etc.

And remember, these jams are going on at mostly the same time as an amazing lineup (see this: http://bluescruise.com/05schedule.html It's a mind-blowing line up, and when nothings' listed jams are also underway in at least 2 of not more locations. At least 15 hours a day of the best of the best all over the ship cruising the Caribbean with three or four fully equipped stages, plus 7 baby grands sprinkled around the ship, each with at least some, if not complete, back line equipment, amps and p.a., along with 1800 happy blueshounds, good food, etc. (Thanks to Big City Blues mag, Robert Jr. & Sugar, for much of the equipment!)

And the jamming last time was wonderfully laid back, almost no conflicts, but the few which I observed were not unique to LRBC, and easily avoided.

These rare instances involved the issues of process, i.e., how to jam? Share. And some simply want to share less and play more. No surprise!

Once at about 3:30 a.m. in the Ocean Bar (a mini venue where most casual full-band jamming occurred), a few paid players (who will remain un-named) were done with their stage gig at the 1am "Pro-Jam" and came down to play some more. Instead of just jumping in to join the jam one at a time as people cycled off the stage, as many pros and non-pros had been doing for a few days at all hours, quite informally and with great effect, these cats asked if the jammers would clear the stage so they could play their good stuff. When they were told they were welcome to join the jam, they walked off in a huff, too bad. Their loss, but they came back other nights and played along beautifully.

In another instance when one of the paid pros was slated to coord a specifically promoted open jam with a list (again in Ocean Bar) he opened with a 90 minute set with a band of pros then brought his friends on for the next two hours, a great show, but he ignored the now-crowded list entirely, leaving a few people very disappointed, since they could have gone to jams elsewhere had they know the list was moot. He was, possibly, just inexperienced at running jams. Or full of himself, whatever, he's a great player and put on a good show. But it weren't no open list jam.

And finally, of course, there are those who, either due to euphoric blindness, stoned stupor or simple hoggedness, stay on stage and don't share. They simply need to be gently reminded to take a break.

I figure it's real simple. Determine the purpose of the jam, and then follow it carefully. As a veteran (non-pro!) jammer who's also hosted more than a few, I suggest some arbitrary categories which may help:

If it's a "pro-jam" where the host intends to put on a fine show with mixed pros, then the host should "create" combos for that purpose, not take a list of sign-ups, but craft a list of combos he or she wants to assemble.

If it's an "open list jam," set up to allow all who want to play, the host needs to follow, more or less, the order of sign-in, allowing everybody to play a few songs, switching players out as needed (e.g, if there are two bassists and seven guitarists, guess who'll be playing more songs).

If it's a showcase of the host, in which he will bring individuals up to sit in for certain songs, then it's a "show with special guests." Not a jam.

All these are good, just different. Truth in advertising, and all that, I say. And of course, always step down, or at least offer to, every 2 or 3 songs . . . And always keep your sense of humor! Doc Alters will do a wonderful job, and I'm sure there won't be it won't be any problems. After all, with a psychiatrist and two trial lawyers (one a former band manager the other a former bartender, and all harp players) what could go wrong?

But do look at this lineup, there are still spaces available on the boat. Tell 'em Dave Fertig sentcha! And note, Curtis Salgado and Mitch Woods, as well as about 7 other special guests, are not listed but will be playing!) http://bluescruise.com/05schedule.html

-Dave Fertig
Impresario of the Elmtree Blues Society
"Where the only dues you pay are the blues you play!"