Re: RE: [Harp-L] A brand new year

Chris Michalek wrote:
> I am much too lazy to learn another instrument and since I could
> only play our wretched little gem I forced myself to sound like a
> sax, voice, flute, tabla, sitar, anything but a harmonica. I don't
> know if that makes sense but it does to me.

I've heard this from several people who play the diatonic in
unconventional ways (Jason Rosenbladt is another).  I find it very
interesting.  In the long run it would seem to me to be more lazy to
choose an instrument that required less work to play in all these
stylistic variations.  But my own experience (though I'm not nearly
as accomplished as the players referred to) is that once you've
become able to express yourself emotionally on a particular
instrument it's difficult to invest the time to duplicate that on
another instrument.  That keeps me coming back to the 10-holer as
well.

Happy New Year, everyone,

-tim

Tim Moyer