[Harp-L] re: was Butterfield now Sonny Terry

Joel wrote:
"Not to take anything away from Sonny Terry--he was a great player--but
distinctive sound isn't something I think of when I think of him."

I saw Sonny Terry play at Passim's in Cambridge many times. His sound was
unmistakeable--that falsetto wail and the melody mixed with blistering chords.
I have an old compilation with Brownie McGhee with Jordon Webb that has harp
that's similar in style but it's not Sonny. Never heard anyone that sounded
like that. Blinding speed. Flexible-played everything from old blues to Woody
Guthrie sea chanteys to Broadway show tunes.

Others have played fox hunt songs. Sonny Terry's version was the quintessential
version-a master taking a traditional form and blasting it into the
stratosphere.

Rainbow Jimmy
http://www.spaceanimals.com
http://www.soundclick.com/theelectricstarlightspaceanimals.htm