[Harp-L] RE: Tony Glover's Book

You can add my name to the list of guys that got their start with that book (in my case, 1971 when I was 16) and look how famous I am today (ok, skip that last part). Other writers are correct, it really was the only thing out there that actually dealt with blues harmonica at the time and for some years after . The best part of it, for me, besides explaining the "cross harp" second position deal was the reference to the great blues harp players, many of whom I had never heard of at the time (for example, and it's a BIG example, I had never heard of Little Walter even though I was living near Chicago and had lots of records with him playing with Muddy). I started my record buying in earnest based on the players mentioned in there, the Sonny Boys, Jimmy Reed, and the other usual suspects. Unfortunately, even by the time I got it, parts were out of date, like the way that LP tracks were referenced by track number and not title (not a good plan for things that went out of print and/or were reissued differently; for example The Best of Little Walter was already a collector item by 1971), innacurate key references, other position references, and some other things. I'm sure Tony never expected this to be still in print so many years on, and I think it's really more of an artifact than something really useful now compared to the many good materials that have surfaced since. I don't think I'd recommend it to anyone today as anything more than a curiosity, but I'm eternally grateful for the jump start it gave my playing when I was younger. Thanks, Tony!
Incidentally, if anyone cares to see the glamorous locations my harp-playing non-career has taken me, see this pic from last Saturday night's gig sitting in with my pals, the Rhythm Dragons:
http://www.members.cox.net/jkally3/1.jpg
http://www.members.cox.net/jkally3/2nd.jpg