[Harp-L] Butterfield & Original Voices on Harp Today

Greetings
Joining in on the Butterfield exchange. I have been playing amplified harp now for at least 40 years. My first and biggest influence was the estimable Paul Butterfield. However I do credit Tony Little Sun Glover's early harp instructional book for getting me started. I was associated with two of San Francisco's regularly working light-shows starting in the mid sixties so I was either up on the light-show catwalk in the Family Dog's various halls - including the Avalon Ballroom, or at Bill Graham's Fillmore(s) or Winterland. I usually got into all the shows free when I wasn't working because I was known by sight around the various establishments. The point of all this is that I saw the Butterfield Blues Band many many times ( each and every time they played in town + I'd travel to see them ) as well as having had the privilege of seeing James Cotton, Charlie Musselwhite, Howlin Wolf, the Muddy Waters Band(s), Junior Wells, John Lee Hooker, Lightnin Hopkins, etc.

The Butterfield Band in its various incarnations always absolutely tore the place up. Anyone who says Paul Butterfield can't sing has never heard the man in person. As much soul, heart, and emotional investment in his singing as in his harp playing. Decent on the keyboards as well. Butterfield was a brilliant technician on the diatonic. That his style of playing was almost purely single hole is astounding. Tongue blocking is something I use but I can't and no one since has managed to do the sort of things Butterfield did by improvisationally stringing together quicksilver chains of crystal clean notes and phrases - he was the Charlie Parker of harmonica. Although Butterfield was a great technician there is clearly nothing cold or clinical about his playing - it is the essence of soulful from the inside out. As a double threat
( vocals & harp ) few approach him today. Magic Dick is a great technician but it is painful to listen to him TRY to sing and at times it seems his technical virtuosity is in the service of technique and and little else. Del Junco is vaguely interesting but has a paper thin voice. Popper, do I need to take a shot at that empty air bag?

I have to say that while there are many fine harp contemporary players - Mark Hummel ( also a decent singer ), Carey Bell, Steve Guyger, the late William Clarke ( great blues shouter and powerful player ), Junior Wells (who could, on a good day, sing like no one else and play some heartbreaking harp ) there are few truly great living harp and vocal masters out there today.

One that comes to mind is the fairly obscure Michael Pickett ( out of Toronto ) who is an accomplished acoustic rack and amplified harp player, guitar player, and singer songwriter. If you haven't heard him you are in for a treat. He's got a web page with some streaming video and sound samples. I saw him in a small house last week as he was rolling through New England and he was a musical thunderstorm - a veritable force of nature.

Now, as for those who say there are no monumental harp/vocal/writers around today - then seriously, check out Portland based Paul deLay.

The most technically proficient, innovative, and astoundingly talented harp player, singer, and writer of world class original songs, living and playing today, is the monstrously gifted Paul deLay. It is a serious cultural crime that deLay is not more widely known both in the harp and blues community and the larger world of music . Paul deLay's band is also one of the tightest, punchiest, joyful group of professional musicians working today - they've been playing together since time immemorial and it shows. The man and his band are blindingly brilliant, and are moving the blues into whole new territories of sound. If you buy Take it From the Turn Around ( which is a compilation CD ) and don't fall in love and buy everything you can get your hands afterward then I fear for the future of the blues in America. deLay needs to be booked ( if he's willing ) outside of the Pacific Northwest so that more people have a chance to hear him burning. Singing-wise think Fats Waller + early Lou Rawls+ Little Willie John. Harp wise he is an absolute original and is cutting his own meteoric swath through the fields of sonic possibility in both chromatic ( some say he's the best in the world ) and diatonic. He is a wise lyricist, tunesmith, and unorthodox phraser to-boot. If I had to pick the two greatest vocal/harp doublethreats of the past 40 years I would without hesitation choose Butterfield and deLay.

'Nuf said.

Wader