Re: [Harp-L] Butterfield live reissue (long)

I just got off the phone with Gabe Butterfield. We were discussing some of
Paul's recordings and the fact that neither Gabe or Lee (son's of Paul) have
received any royalties from the Bearsville label, Rhino Records or others
companies licensed to put out reissues of Paul's work. This is aside from
Electra or Warner Bros. labels.  Albert Grossman's wife became owner
Bearsville Records after Albert died.  She didn't think much of Paul and
told him so according to Gabe.

The Live cd is sort of a bittersweet cd release. While it shows Paul's
playing in a well recorded spotlight it also stands as another slap in the
face to the Butterfield family.
While it's hedging on our desire to pay almost any price for unreleased
Butterfield material it is, IMHO,  taking advantage of both the loyal
listeners and family of Paul Butterfield by "robbing Peter but not paying
Paul".

Gabe told me that while the family was at Paul's funeral in LA. someone
broke into a rental unit where they put his possessions. While they were
laying him to rest, someone was laying their hands on his possessions.
Gabe was left with virtually nothing of his father's. When Paul was inducted
into the Blues Hall of Fame neither Gabe nor Paul's family were informed.
Other's stole the spotlight from Gabe being able to honor his father.

As little as 3 months ago Gabe and his fiancé, Salli, put together the Paul
Butterfield Fund and Society. I spoke a little about it here.

Some of us have cheerfully donated our Butterfield LP's and memorabilia to
the Fund to end up as part of permanent exhibits at various Hard Rock Cafe's
around the US.  I donated everything I had on Paul. I also donated a
"butterfield" Trumpet Call harmonica that Gabe could either use as a prize
for membership or keep for himself.

The Paul Butterfield Fund and Society serves several purposes.
1) gives proper recognition to Paul Butterfield and his contribution to the
music world.
2) expands out to promote forward thinking musical and other artists.
3)provide a safety net for artists that come under undue and expensive
medical and financial hardships.

While some of us have already donated our Butterfield collections still more
is needed to be placed in other Hard Rock Cafe's around the US and perhaps
world. The donation is tax deductible.

I'm making a challenge to other harp techs that were influenced by
Butterfield. I'm donating the net profits for the month of September from my
harp business to the PBFS. If you can afford it as well,  I'm asking you to
do likewise.  I already have more then enough work to keep me busy in
September so this isn't a ploy to get new business.

If you would like info on membership to the Paul Butterfield Fund and
Society which includes a newsletter, info on advertising in the newsletter,
donations email me offlist. I can email all the info to you.

There are different levels of membership priced from individual to corporate
level donations.

Gabe is asking for your help. He was very touched with the items I donated
and told me a few stories relating to photos I sent to him.

It doesn't take much to get involved and it helps elevate one of the pioneer
harp players and musicians from the 20th Century into the 21st.

mike