[Harp-L] THanks for Harp-L

I feel a need to give PROPS to Harp-L.
Recently someone posted on Harp-L about a bad hum in his microphone, and Larry Price from Midwest Microphone posted a response.  Incredibly, it sounded like the same problem I was having.  I had just purchased an Astatic T-3, and all it did was produce a horrendously loud hum, with only a very faint signal output.  Not knowing much about these things, I assumed that the R7 salt crystal element was "dead", and that I'd have to replace it.  However, after reading that post, I called Larry, who was kind enough to discuss it at length with me on the phone.  He explained the that it might only be a grounding problem, and he advised me to ground the mic shell, by adding a wire from the ground lug on the element, to the inside of the shell. I did so last night, and it worked wonders. The hum completely disappeared, the output has increased, and it sounds great.  Also, thanks to Fritz Hasenpusch (another Harp-L'er) for hooking me up with a rare connector for the T-3.
Without Harp-L, I'd still be wondering what the heck to do.  Thank-you.

Richard J. Smith, R.A.