RE: [Harp-L] 4th Position

Hi Froggy;
                 regarding your comments:"I do not agree with this. You can not say that it does suit to blues or not.
All of that depends of how you play. And you do not necessary need overbends to play blues in 4th position. You can
already get the Am scale on all the C harmonica. You might have to bend hole 3 draw. OK! But you can play blues. Of
course, it is less usual to hear people playing blues in 4th position, but it does not means that 4th does not fit to
blues.".................all I can say is the best way to make a musical point is to demonstrate it. Unfortunately that's
not possible here.
                 However I'm willing to concede that someone besides me might play good blues in this position, that
is, A on C (my favourite terminology) or what Steve Baker might refer to (I haven't seen his book) as 3rd sharp
position. I play regularly, that is to say, publicly, in C,G,Gm,Dm,Am,Em and occasionally F major, and practice in all
other keys on my home adjusted 'overbend' instruments.
                I have not found the A natural minor scale, as it lays out on a standard Richter tuned harp, very
useful for blues. But I promise you I'll have another crack at it. In fact I might even try it at the gig tonight.
                I'll let you know how I go.
Cheers,
Rick Dempster