[Harp-L] Re: Yamaha 1200

I picked up two of the 1200 harmonicas with a batch purchase I made on Ebay
and traded the one in C for doing the work on the one in G which I still prize
 to this day. I inquired about the harmonica about two years ago and finally
got  a response from Colin Mort. I am sure he would not mind if I pass along
some of  the detailed info he gave me.

>From Colin Mort:

Yamaha made 3 octave chromatics in C like the Hohner 270 - in other words  a
"standard" chromatic. They were on wooden combs which were heavily  lacquered
to make them impervious to changes of humidity. The reed plates  were plated
and nailed on. For a short period before they sold the facility  they used
plastic combs. I believe they sold to Tombo.

The original  ones  had leather valves which the later ones didn't. Yamaha
sold  harmonicas in the UK for a short period, but atypically didn't promote
them so  they didn't sell well and they withdrew from the market.
Their tremolos were  sought after by folk players as the best ever.
Subsequently Yamaha sold  harmonicas in Japan only. It has been rumoured that
there was a marketing  agreement with Hohner, but whether that's true . . .

There are no hole  numbers on the cover plates, so you can't use those eyes
inside your mouth to  tell you your position!

All the reeds were riveted onto a plate in one  operation by a machine which
ensured accurate placing of the  reeds.

The reeds answer very quickly whether played quietly  or
(remarkably) loud and to have a good strong sound, but if you're looking  for
a CX12 or blues harp sound, it isn't. They were thinner than Hohner  reeds
and very prone to choke if you start a note in a punchy  manner.

Reed replacements weren't / aren't available, reeds can be  replaced with
Hohner reeds which  have to be  shortened and make  narrower and thinner. In
playing
it feels and sounds consistent with the  others,
In the hands, the instrument feels lighter than a Hohner, and the plating  on
the cover plates is very thin  but proved it's quality in  playing. However
tatty it looks, it
still plays  brilliantly.