Re: [Harp-L] Re: XB-40s at SPAH (was St. Louis Blues)

<David amazed me by playing along with Butterfield's
version of Born in Chicago on his Bb XB.>

Is this because Born in Chicago is in A and Butter
plays cross on a D?

My real question, however, is this: is anyone playing
Bebop on these harps? When I try to play Bebop, for
instance Ornithology or Moose the Mooche on a
chromatic, I have to sacrifice tone for speed, not
that I'm playing it all that well or anything. Does
the XB-40 respond more quickly to wind than a 64?

Or are all the diatonic players out there playing
Parker and Dizzy, etc. using overblows? And, if so, is
the speed factor affected? I'm not an overblow player,
except by accident (that's why I don't use Special
20's) but I'd change if the overblows were the only
way to get those Parker licks.

Are most jazz harp players playing in Eb on a Bb? I've
found this is an easier way to play through most jazz
changes, but I could really use some input here from
the experts.

Bret