[Harp-L] Jason Ricci and New Blood Revue

Central Florida, the wasteland for touring musical acts, is where I live. Vicki and I drove 1 1/2 hours to Cocoa Beach to see Jason last night.

Judging by how he has improved in the last year, Jason is serious about his art. He has absorbed the best forward thinking harmonica techniques and ideas (from players like Carlos Del Junco)and infused them with youthful testosterone appropriate to his generation, well matched by the young musicians who comprise New Blood.

Jason does enough traditional sounding blues to satisfy those "Blues N*zis" who insist that blues harmonica be played "thusly". He can also play at blinding speed (with those mini-ideas repeated over and over forever ad-nauseum), enough to satisfy those "Harmonica Gunslinger" characters.

Most importantly, however, is the ensemble playing of New Blood, with some of the most creative arrangements and funk grooves I've heard emanate from a "Blues Bar Stage". Every member of the group was given a chance to shine and it's obvious they enjoy playing together.

Jason has good stage presence and body English. He learned his road warrior lessons well for so young a performer and handles the beer soaked audience professionally.

Playing with Jason indicated that he listens while performing, responding to the creative moment, as we crafted "horn line" harmonies and ideas within the confines of the music before SOLO TIME.

The Jason Ricci and New Blood LIVE experience is Highly Recommended.

The Iceman