[Harp-L] Re: Rob Paparozzi w/ Big Band..Free Show Wed 8/11

"Robert Paparozzi" <chromboy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> A "Big Band Tribute" (The Ed Palermo Big Band)
> playing the music of:
> Paul Butterfield & Mike Bloomfield & The Electric Flag
> featuring:
> Rob Paparozzi - Vocals & Harmonica
> George Naha - Guitar

i went to see rob last night, along with my wife and oldest daughter.
the outdoor venue got rained out, so it moved to a local high school.
we walked in halfway during a smokin' soundcheck (walkin' blues, maybe?
i don't remember), which made me worry i'd gotten the time wrong, as they
then left the stage.

but no problem.  they came out shortly after and rocked the place.  killin' floor,
one more heartache, nobody's fault but mine, even a great version of whippin' post
(with a guest vocalist whose name i didn't catch).  two one hour sets, closed with
a terrific everything gonna be alright (we're even, rob).  born in chicago for an encore.
these last two were seriously harpful, and rob really wailed.  great stuff.

it was a great night.  killer band, nice crowd (all ages), laid back, welcoming
venue, good vibes all around. i spent tuesday night seeing The Dead at the
PNC arts center, and the contrast was stunning.  i grew up with the grateful dead,
so it was a very emotional experience for me.  but everything about the event
(as distinct from the band and music itself) was all stress and hassle: traffic, crowds,
fascist security, being gouged by the venue, etc.  the fact that i can drive a few miles,
park across the street, and have as great a time as i had last night is really precious.
i am *so* glad there are still events like this, and so thankful for those that make
them possible.

----
Garry Hodgson, Technical Consultant, AT&T Labs

Be happy for this moment.
This moment is your life.