Fwd: RE: [Harp-L] xb-40 tune-up - another possibility

Laurent -

The link you sent doesn't work, because of the period at the end of
the sentence, which became part of the link. Cut and past the text
somehwere else, remove the period, then paste the link into your
browser in order to access the referenced page:

http://www.planetharmonica.com/ph5/VE/XB_40HighNotesUK.htm

Anyway, the problem that Rick Epping describes on that page is only
on C and high D XB-40s, not for lower harps like A. I know, as I have
experienced the C-harp problems. For me it was not squealing but
pitch flattening and poor tonal response.

I don't think the problems Paul is experiencing on his A-harp can be
ascribed the trouble occuring with C and D XB-40s. It may be a
question of technique, or it could be something the wax fix could
help with.

Other possibilities:

--- One thing I have experienced with XB-40s is the ease with which
you can over-stimulate the reed, so that its response begins to
distort (and not in a good way). I find I have to temper my attack to
account for thsi sensitivity.

--- One of my XB-40s does have a reed that makes an unpleasant sound
when I bend it. I'm pretty sure from the sound of it that the reed is
hitting the wall of the slot, probably due to a burr on the edge of
the reed. If I'm right about the cause - and Paul's problem might
have the same cause - then sliding something like an extremely thin
metal feeler gauge between the reed and the slot edge could be used
to remove the burr and clean up the sound of the reed vibrating.

Winslow

--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Laurent \(Planet
Harmonica\)" <laurent@xxxx> wrote:
Hello Paul

I'm not sure if you already know, but the squealing on high bends is
partly
due to the harp design. You can find more info by Rick Epping (the XB
designer) on
http://www.planetharmonica.com/ph5/VE/XB_40HighNotesUK.htm.
This info was first sent to harp-l and reproduced on planet harmonica
with
Rick's agreement as part of a global article on harmonicas based on
Richter
allowing to play chromatically.

I'm afraid this doesn't fully answer you question but I thought it
may help
you.

Thanks
Best regards