[Harp-L] Roland Microcube

Ray Beltran <raybeltran@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
"Wow...all the bells and whistles. I'd spend too much time pushin' buttons
and twistin' knobs. Yeah, lots of effects for the bucks, that's for sure.  Here's another, simpler alternative: http://www.pyp-bomb.com/";

I looked up this reference, and the Pyp-Bomb is an impressive amp.  The four reviewers on harmonycentral.com are utterly delighted with it.  It looks really cool, too -- they don't call it the PyP-Bomb for nothing.

However, as noted by Ray, it doesn't contain the "bells and whistles" of the Roland.  No amp modeling, no reverb or delay, no chorus, flange, or tremolo.  The Roland -- and other amp modeling devices -- can be thought of as an effects processor, in this case with a built-in amp, while the PyP-Bomb is basically an amp without effects.

To put it another way, when you buy the Roland, you're getting a better than decent reverb and delay, plus a bunch of other very useful effects, plus a small amp that can front-end your big amp, for the price of a good reverb or delay pedal.  Not a bad deal.  I do think almost every harp player is better off owning a decent delay and reverb.

Regarding the time spent pushing buttons, well, if the average guitar player can push a few buttons, I don't see why the average harp player can't.  But that's a matter of taste.  My taste is to get as many sounds out of the instrument as I can, with electronics when necessary.  As always, everyone should heed their own muse.

Thanks, Richard Hunter
www.hunterharp.com