[Harp-L] "The Groove"

The Groove is essential in understanding and playing blues harmonica. I have success in conveying this concept in private and group sessions, but find that it doesn't translate well into written form.

The basis for my theory is that the shuffle groove so necessary to blues playing is really a reflection of the human heartbeat, which is why I believe The Blues is so universally understood and powerful; it has a direct line to what keeps us alive.

Anyone can "catch the groove" as long as their heart still beats in their chest. Once the groove is pulsing you, you can relax and play effortless back-up and your solos will have definitive power. Even one long sustained note will have the ability to move an audience to its feet.

The Iceman