[Harp-L] Re: Effects

Ronald J. Parker wrote:

I>  have 2 amps that have no reverb nor delay effects.  I have
> #1. a '59 Fender Bassman re-issue
> #2.  a  6 X 10 HarpKing (new out of the box)
>
> Neither has reverb  nor delay.   I was stage mgr. for one of Rick Estrin's
> gigs and noticed that he had an effects box on top of his Harp King...but it
> was packed up before I got a good look.  I am interested in trying the best
> units for both delay and reverb in my 2 amps if the cost is not prohibitive.
> I am not a tech-geek....so any advice is better than what I know.
> Thanks,
> RonnyJoe

Ronny... I really like my Boss DM-2 analogue delay pedal to add just a touch
of tone widening delay.  Isaw William Clarke using one a few years back when
he came through my town. I tried digital delays with some success (Ibanez and
Danelectro), but I'm hooked on the smoothness of the analogue DM-2. Since it is
a Boss pedal, it  is built tough and should last.

Best effect I ever played through, and what I'd use if money and
durability/reliability were no object, was a Maestro Echoplex - the early tube model. The
delay was smooth and lush, and it added just a hint of extra gain that added a
nice touch to the tone. On the down side, echoplexes are pricey (@$600-900
for a tuned up and in shape tube model, and then there are the tapes/head
cleaning, etc... The Boss DM-2  can be had on EBay for $120-$180.

Some players swear by stand alone reverb units. The Premier reverb from early
60's is a nice one. I tried one at Sonny Jr.'s house when I picked up my
Sonny 4-10 amp in January.

Andy Vincent