Re: [Harp-L] Embossing/burnishing reed slots - was Gapping for Overblows

Ron wrote:
> Why must the harp be totally disassembled?  Why cantcha just do
> your embossing on top of the reed, with the harp intact?

As Chris and Winslow pointed out, you have to remove the blow plate
to get to the reed side of the plate.  But as I tried to address in
my original reply, embossing is only *part* of a process that
involves changing the reed arc, retuning and gapping.  If you're
committed to making changes of that magnitude, disassembling and
reassmebling the harp is trivially little more work, and makes the
rest of the process so much easier.

If you're worried about doing this on a harp that's assembled with
nails, don't be.  If you disassemble the harp carefully (slide a
knife edge between the reed plate and the comb to raise it slightly,
then use a pair of small pliers to remove the nails) you can put it
back together without any ill effects.  If the nail holes get too
wallowed out to hold securely when you reassemble, you can close them
up by inserting a toothpick into the hole, cutting it off and sanding
it flat.

If this seems like a lot of work, it is.  There are folks out there
that would be happy to do this stuff for you for a small fee.  ;-)

-tim

Tim Moyer
Working Man's Harps
http://www.workingmansharps.com/